Church History

 

Christ Lutheran Church had its beginnings in the late 1850s when a sizable group of people called upon the Lutheran pastor from New Melle to serve them in Augusta. Their first services were held in private homes. In the Fall of 1859 the flock of Lutherans in Augusta called their first pastor, the Rev. J.H. Doermann of Olean, New York. He accepted and was installed on Sunday, March 25, 1860. Along with establishing the church, the congregation also established a school.

 

On July 18, 1860, the newly founded congregation adopted their first constitution. Except for changing from German to English in 1936, this constitution remained unchanged until 1957. In 1864 a resolution was passed by the congregation to join the LC-MS, known then as "The Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States."

 

1909 2In 1872 the present brick building was built at a cost of $2,600. On June 11, 1899 a new Kilgen pipe organ was dedicated to the glory of God. This attractive hand-pump organ was purchased for $325 and was used for 60 years.

 

On April 2, 1916 a Sunday School was started which replaced the old "Christenlehre." Also, for the first time (but not without conflict), an English service was introduced, although it would be three decades before the German language would disappear from the church and school.

 

In September, 1959, Christ Lutheran celebrated its 100th anniversary. In celebration, the congregation purchased a new pipe organ which is still in use today. In 1963 indoor restrooms were added. In 1972 the church's interior was remodeled. The exterior was completely renovated during the Summer of 1976. The annual Pork Sausage and Sauerkraut Dinner, founded by the Men's Club in 1951, was changed to a congregational project in 1982 with all members being asked to participate. The dinner was originally held at the American Legion Hall in Augusta. in 1963 it was moved to the Augusta Elementary School, and after a new building project was completed in 1991, the dinner was moved to the new church basement.

 

Church - new front 3 2The latest building project to be completed in the church was the construction of a new front entrance in 2008. The old steps were replaced with a dual staircase, larger double doors, and a beautiful stained glass window depicting Luther's Seal. This project was completed in time for the congregation to celebrate their 150th anniversary in September, 2009.



 

© 2017 Christ Lutheran Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community